Saturday 5 November 2011

XXX PHOTOGRAPHY CRUSH, MAGDA WOSINSKA XXX

 
Magda's work seems a throwback to a simpler time. A sort of tough freedom and unconventionality in her subjects. Her work is set in infectiously cool and chilled back atmospheres.
Mayhem in Marroco

Who's Magda Wosinska?
MW: Well I grew up in Katowice, Poland in 1983, and moved to the states in 1991. I started skateboarding with the all the local guys at age 12 and started to purse skate photography years later along with fashion designing. when I was 17 I had to pick one or the other so I went forward with photography. when I was 20 I moved to LA and been here since! Now I play in a stonnerrock band on the side with my good friend and roommate and fellow skateboarder Ethan Fowler and hang with my dog Pickles. Just hangen', enjoying life waiting what cool things are next!


Do you have any cool stories from a recent shoot?
MW: Well not sure if this is cool but the outcome was rad. Sooooooo this summer I flew up to Seattle to shoot a fashion story for Vice magazine. Everything in the first half of the shoot went well until there was an accident. in the middle of the freezing Lake Washington I was shooting 2 models cross from one big house boat to another smaller one while the boats were moving and as I was leaning forward on the railing I stepped like 4 inches to the right to get a good shot and I ended up falling in between the 2 boats. There was a rope holding the 2 boats together that my body fell into, thank god it didn't choke me cause my neck was what came in contact with the rope as it swung all my cameras around my neck off my body. I was trying to save them and me by leaping onto the other boat but instead I hit my head and floated away with 10k in gear sinking to the bottom of the black lake. I was totally in shock so I didnt realize I almost died and just kept diving in the find my long lost cameras. As the boats came to pull me back in a realized I was fucked and I had no back up cameras because they were all around my neck. Soooooo I'm in the middle of a lake with a 20 person crew. What do i do, freak out?! Well i was shaking so much that I couldn't, so instead my friend Megan Delaney was like, "fuck it just shoot it with an i phone" i was like omg how could you dare say that me right now but she was right. I lost my arm. I got nothing else to loose. Soooo I shot it on a shitty point and shoot and an i phone. After some clever retouching no one could tell the difference and they liked the story but better yet I sent it to converse and they loved it and hired me to shoot their next worldwide campaign not knowing yet what went down in those 6 crazy hours on the lake!
Shit happens for a reason I guess and yes, I'm stoked to be alive:)

I never knew I could fly

If you could wake up anywhere tomorrow where would it be?
Somewhere tropical and warm

Madness in Marocco

What's your biggest childhood memory? 
Summer family vacations in northern Poland at my uncles house on the lake

What can you learn from women?
How to love yourself

What can you learn from men?
How to be patient

What is the secret to happiness?
Family,enjoying life, and being honest with yourself and your surroundings

If you could wear any shoes what would they be?
No shoes, just bare feet on the warm sand

If you could fill anyones shoes who would they be?
my own are a pretty good fit, anything is possible

Mayhem in Marocco

Summer smells like teen spirit

Lifestyle and Stuff





No comments:

Post a Comment